The Butler Trust was launched as a charity in 1985. In 2012 we became incorporated as a charitable company, limited by guarantee (charity number: 1145182; company number: 07844810).
Our full charity registration details and copies of our most recent returns can be found on the Charity Commission website.
Our charitable objects, as set out in our Articles and Memorandum of Incorporation, and approved by the Charity Commission, are –
To further and promote practice among those working in the penal system in the United Kingdom which contributes to:
- the rehabilitation of offenders and the prevention of crime;
- the promotion of the social inclusion of offenders by facilitating their integration and constructive engagement in society;
- the advancement of the health, safety and psychological well being of offenders and those who work with them.
Equality and diversity
The Butler Trust is committed to promoting equality, fairness and respect, and opposes all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination, victimisation, harassment, bullying, and insulting or abusive behaviour.
The Trust aims to ensure that:
- diversity is encouraged within the Trust, creating an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all are recognised and valued;
- the working environment within the Trust, and the way we carry out our work, promotes dignity, respect and fairness to all;
- no one is unlawfully or unfairly discriminated against on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, or any other irrelevant factor.